Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Pa' que tu lo sepas!

"Just so you know!" That's the translation of this post's title, and when preceded by "Yo soy Boricua" it forms the soundtrack at Puerto Rican Day Parades around the country. In this case, it perfectly sums up my feelings about this blog: this is real Puerto Rican food, just so you know.

Anyone growing up with a decent Boricua cook in the kitchen knows what hell it can be finding a passable pastelillo in a restaurant, or pernil that isn't dry and tasteless. In this age of the internetz, you'd think it would be easy to find good recipes for acapurrias, or even recaito, but alas, the recipes either suck, or the formatting is teh suxx0rz so much that the promise of good food isn't enough to wade through the bullshit.

About a month ago, after yet another fruitless session of surfing the net for good recipes, I realized I was part of the problem. I have a 'puter. I have a camera. I have a PR mom (whose nickname growing up was 'Cuca') who can cook. I have internetz. I can haz blog? I think so, kitty.

Here, gentle readers, are my promises to you:

1. Good recipes for Puerto Rican food that have been tested for decades by my own family of picky eaters. Most of the recipes are my mother's, but for the things she doesn't cook, I'll depend on other family members, all of whom have some area of expertise.

2. A decent visual experience, or at least as much of one as my pretty little featureless camera allows.

3. Forays into non-PR food that will be worth your time.

In summary: let's get on these hoes!

3 comments:

Maven said...

HOOOOOOO! HEEEYYYYY!
Huzzah!

Wendell said...

Yay!

Laila said...

This is good news for the world. Why don't I come over and help you share Cuca's pernil with the rest of bloggerdom?